What would later become known as The ReHabilitation Center was created more than four decades ago by a grassroots group of parents.
On October 2, 1957, a small handful of parents who had children with disabilities met at Mrs. Victoria Reswick's home to discuss the lack of options for their children. Mrs. Reswick, whose son James Guy Reswick had Down's Syndrome, wanted to reach out to parents who shared her frustration. She placed an ad in the local Olean Times Herald, and the group that came together started advocating for children immediately. They lobbied doctors and politicians and, in 1958, their organization became incorporated.
Today, The ReHab Center is a multifaceted agency that serves more than 700 people each day at more than 43 sites throughout Cattaraugus County and beyond.